PRAYING WITH SCRIPTURE
Use the questions below the Scripture verses to help you “pray” this passage from Exodus. How do you respond to the experience of being confronted by the burning bush? Do you even see it? Do you stop for it? Do you believe God can speak to you?
Now Moses was tending the flock of Jethro, his father-in-law, the priest of Midian, and he led the flock to the far side of the wilderness and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. There the angel of the Lord appeared to him in flames of fire from within a bush.
- What role (s) has God called me to at this time in my life?
- How do I feel about each of these roles?
- Do I have any questions for God about this role (s)?
- Would I notice “flames of fire from within a bush?” Or am I walking with my eyes to the wonders of God?
Moses saw that though the bush was on fire it did not burn up. So Moses thought, “I will go over and see this strange sight – why the bush does not burn up.”
- What extraordinary vision has God given me?
- Is it filling me with wonder?
- Am I paying attention to it?
- What in my heart is keeping me from “going over to see” the vision?
- What in my life is keeping me from “going over to see” the vision?
When the Lord saw that he had gone over to look, God called to him from within the bush, “Moses! Moses!” And Moses said, “Here I am.”
- Do I believe that God might “call” me by name?
- Am I listening for God’s call?
- Have I received a call? Am I responding to it? Why not?
“Do not come any closer,” God said. “Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground.” Then he said, I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob.
- Do I have reverence for God?
- Do I feel that I am on holy ground when I am with God?
- Does my behavior match my understanding of who God is?
- Do I use God’s name carelessly? Do I disrespect his Lordship? Do I talk when God is talking?
- Do I ignore what God says either directly through the Holy Spirit, or in Scripture, or through people God has sent to talk to me?
- Do I ask for God’s view on decisions I am making or problems I am having?
At this, Moses hid his face, because he was afraid to look at God.
- Am I hiding my face from God? Why?
- Am I afraid to look at God? Why?