Use the questions below the Scripture verses (Psalm 23, NIV) to help you interact with God in prayer. For example, thinking about Jesus as a shepherd may bring to mind places in your life where you need Jesus to lead you. Pray about those places. Reflecting on the phrase “I shall not be in want” may help you realize you don’t have everything you need. Pray about the needs you uncover. Or it may remind you that you have all that you need – and you can express gratitude.
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
- Do I need a shepherd now?
- How do I need to be led by Jesus?
- Do I feel as if I don’t have everything I need? Why? What is missing?
- What shall I pray for?
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
He leads me beside still waters, He restores my soul.
- Do I need rest and quiet? Do I need to catch my breath?
- What do you want to teach me, Lord, in the stillness?
- Do you see me as ready to listen? Help me shut out the world.
- How does my soul need to be restored and refreshed?
He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name’s sake.
- Am I headed in the right direction?
- This is where I am confused . . .
- Please give me . . .
- What areas of unrighteousness do I need to confess?
- Thank You for guiding me!
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for You are with me;
- What fears am I battling?
- Are they phantom fears (or false narratives), or do they have reality behind them?
- If they are fears caused by my own decisions, how can I use your rod and staff to protect me?
- How can I come closer to you as I walk through the valley?
- How can I live with this grief or pain?
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
- Who do I perceive as an “enemy?”
- Help me pray for these enemies.
- Help me invite them to the table of grace you have set for us.
- Help me to see the face of Jesus in each of them.
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
- I feel your favor! I bask in your delight. I am surrounded by your presence.
- I am filled with gratitude for the blessings you have showered on me today.
- I now recount these blessings . . .
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.
- I rest in the assurance that God goes before me and behind me.
- How can I become aware of God’s presence every moment of the day?
- What can I do to leave a trail of goodness and love wherever I go?
- Every day I will remember that I am safe in God’s unshakable kingdom. YES!