PRAYING WITH SCRIPTURE
Use the questions below the Scripture Passage (Isaiah 43: 1-3;18-21) to help frame your conversation with God about the fear and anxiety that inevitably arise as we walk through the Kingdom of God on earth.
Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
- Is there anything I fear as I begin this prayer time?
- How do I feel about being called by name by the most Holy God?
- How would my life change if I really believed I belong to God?
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
And when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you.
- Am I feeling overwhelmed about anything?
- Am I being swept away by a flood of anxiety, restlessness, grief, anger or doubt?
- How can I thank God for being with me in these times, past and present?
- Who do I know who is drowning and needs to hear these words?
- Do I feel safe in the Kingdom of God?
When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned;
The flames will not set you ablaze.
For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;
- What fires am I being called to walk through for God?
- What help do I need to dare to take the risk?
- Do I trust that the fires around me will not set me ablaze?
- Do I feel safe in the kingdom of God?
Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past.
- What past sins still cause painful guilt, even though I have asked forgiveness?
- What former relationships still feed my bitterness?
- What situations cause flames of anger in my soul?
- Who do I need to forgive? Myself?
- What do I need to ask God forgiveness for?
See I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
- What new thing is God doing in my life?
- Why do I not see it? Am I not looking?
- If I feel it springing up, what will I do?
- Who will I tell?
I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland . . . .
To give drink to my people, my chosen,
The people I formed for myself
That they may proclaim my praise.
- Do I feel hope in the midst of my wasteland?
- Will I accept the help God is offering me?
- How can I praise God for forming me for himself?
- How can I let others know that they are God’s children and encourage them to drink the water of life?